Thursday 12 April 2012

Healthy balls (suitable for all ages)

Right-o, so me and Picky have started a 'healthy living' phase. We've decided to give up eating crap. It's amazing what you have to give up when you decide to give up eating crap.

Here's a summary of what's been banished from our daily diet;

... sugar
... milk & dairy (technically this really isn't crap, but we just fancy a change)
... bread and other wheaty things (ditto)

Now I reckon you might well be thinking ... 3 things? You've only given up three things? That's easy peasy. Mmmm I'm not sure.

Here's the deal. I don't mind my sweets. Normally I'd crawl over broken glass for a decent bag of snakes. Not any more. Plus, I'm a self confessed coffee addict. And not just coffee. Cappuccino. With milk and that nice chocolate stuff sprinkled on top. And plenty of it, please. Not any more.

We're going to eat more 'naturally' for a while and see how we feel. To be honest we don't eat too unhealthily as it is, but we've decided to eat heaps more fruits and veggies, and more earthy stuff. Beans and pulses, that type of stuff.

Anyway, each to their own and all that. (We're off to Tahiti on a belated honeymoon in July and we've decided we want to look and feel great. Just secretly, I want to resemble a Greek Adonis. I blame sugar, milk and bread for the fact that I currently don't. I expect to transform gradually - but noticeably - into Adonis over the next few months).

The thing is, when Picky suggested all this healthy eating malarky I was more than happy to give it a go for a while. Variety is the spice of life. The main problem for me is that I really like something sweet to nibble on after dinner, or during the day. The chocolate vending machine that is frustratingly positioned 2 metres from my office door at work has been known to get a good nudge from yours truly. This typically happens at about 3pm when my work-day spirits are low and I need a little pep up. A Cherry Ripe or a pocket-sized (or bigger!) Cadbury's Dairy Milk does the trick nicely. Not any more it doesn't.

So I went searching for something to replace my mid-afternoon chocolate habit. And I found these little beauties. They are real belters. They take 5 mins to make, they last an age and boy they're good. I messed around with the ingredients a bit and I threw in a few things that I'd never tried before but I spotted at a health food shop.

Healthy balls (feel free to re-name them as you see fit)


The stuff you'll need ...

20 dates (buy them with the seed in and then remove the seed yourself, they are more moist that way)
1 jar of sesame tahini (buy the stuff that's not been hulled if you can, but hulled is fine)
(Avoid the temptation to spoon the tahini into your mouth from the jar if at all possible)
a handful of almonds, whizzed in chopper or popped in a bag and smashed with a rolling pin
a decent handful of walnuts, ditto
a decent handful of assorted seeds, whatever tickles your fancy
a decent handful of raisins or sultanas
5 or more prunes, chopped up
3 or more dried figs, chopped up
half a teacup of water
Sesame seeds or more chopped up nuts (kept aside for rolling the balls in)

What to do ...

Pit (that's a posh word for removing the stone) the dates and pop them all in a bowl in the microwave on high for 3 mins to soften 'em up
Mash the hell out of them in a bowl with a fork - about 3 mins will do just fine
Chuck everything else in - feel free to throw other healthy stuff in too if you like
Mix with the same fork
Roll the mixture into little balls in the palm of your hand (little, not golf ball sized!!)
Roll the little balls in the seeds or nuts (I've used nuts in the picture)
Keep in the fridge
Sneak to the fridge and eat regularly

Hey presto! A chocolate substitute. And boy they're great. Pearl loves the things too. They're perfect for kids and adults. We haven't forced one down an old person but I'm sure old people would enjoy them as well. Healthy balls are fun for all age-groups.

If you're wondering about my coffee situation. I've switched to soy milk, and actually I really like it in coffee. You've got to get the decent soy milk though. The cheap stuff is awful. I use Bonsoy. And you can't put chocolate on top I'm afraid. Soy cappuccino is just terrible. But soy latte with a couple of Healthy Balls on the side. Now ya talking'!

pip pip

Ps ... look out for my second little blog from across The Tasman over the weekend










4 comments:

  1. Dave... "jar" is not a very accurate measurement, to be honest. big, small...what kinda jar?!? See, I`m basically living across the planet, so let me know the jar-size in Oz, will you? I decided to give it a go next week. At least the tahini-balls. Not all the other crap ;-) Note to self: I know it is not crap. It`s just not for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. i don't blame you. tho to be honest we don't eat too much bread anyway and i actually prefer soy milk. as for jar ... 200g is about right. i threw a crushed up banana in the last ones i made. but it made them too soggy and sticky. they're better dry and solid. pop 'em in the fridge when they're done .. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note to self: Roughly chopping the nuts is not doing the job - the batter is too liquid...
    Also: 3 min on high in my microwaves literally burns the dates.
    Helpful: Use common sense when doing things like that for the first time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried these "healthy balls" and am not too much of a fan. I've been trying to just eat clean...if you can grow up, I will eat it fresh. If I want meat, it has to be lean , organic meat. It's been working for me since I feel a lot better. However, I will NEVER give up coffee. That is just not an option.

    ReplyDelete