Tuesday 31 January 2012

in the day ... 30th jan 1969


(I thought I’d do a fairly regular snippet on stuff from the past. A little jaunt down memory lane and perhaps even beyond, if you like). 
The older I get the more I hear myself saying that awful phrase - the one I used to hear older people saying - ‘back in the day’. When I would hear an ‘oldie’ say it I used to think ... ‘Ah shush about the olden days already. Focus on today, mate’. Now I hear myself saying it. C’est la vie!
in the day ... 30th january 1969.
At midday The Beatles wandered out onto the roof of No 3 Savile Row (the HQ of Apple, The Beatles own company) and played a live 42minute-set that stopped the London traffic. It was so cold that John Lennon wore Yoko Ono’s fur coat. 
Can you imagine wandering around London in winter, minding your own business, doing a bit of shopping, & then looking up and seeing The Beatles playing live. On a roof-top? It must have been magical. 
Magical and final.
It was the last time the Fab Four would ever play together live. They played 9 songs in total, although they played five versions of ‘Get Back’, two of ‘Don’t let me down’ and two of ‘Dig a Pony’. They also played God Save the Queen and Danny Bhoy.
Lennon left The Beatles in September of that same year, just as the band signed a new recording deal. & that was pretty much it.

No comments:

Post a Comment