Tuesday 14 February 2012

in the day ... 14th feb 1977


A snippet of stuff from the past. A little jaunt down memory lane if you like. 
The older I get the more I hear myself saying that awful phrase, ‘back in the day’. When I used to hear an ‘oldie’ say it I would think ... ‘Ah shush about the old days already. Focus on today, mate’. Funny thing is that nowadays I hear myself saying it more & more. C’est la vie!

in the day ... 14th february 1977


There's cycling and then there's cycling.


I've done the former and I don't do the latter. The former involves pottering around on a bike, getting from A to B on two wheels in however long it takes to get from A to B on two wheels. And not really caring. The latter involves pulling on multi-coloured lycra, a funny little hat, mounting a seriously expensive machine, dodging the dangerous traffic and giving the roads a right good nudge.


I'm not, and never have been, a serious, lycra-loving type of cyclist. And nope this isn't a rant against cyclists. Not at all. It's the exact opposite. I love cycling. From the sidelines. I'm a kerbside cyclist. I bloomin' love the Tour de France. LOVE IT. I'm a 'non-cyclist', a cyclist without a cycle, but I stay up to watch Le Tour every year. It starts at 11pm down here too, but I reckon it's one of the best sporting events on TV. 

The Tour is really amazing to watch. If you've watched it you'll probably know what I mean. If you haven't, give it a go. If you do decide to dip your toe into the 2012 Tour, try to catch one of the really hilly stages. I'd recommend Stage 16 on 18th July when the silly billies tackle 4 of the steepest hills all in one gruelling day. 197kms. Madness.


This year's Tour is the 99th, and it actually starts in Liege, Belgium on 30th June. It'll cover 3500kms through Belgium, France and Switzerland, before ending in Paris on the Champs-Elysee on 22nd July. The winner will lead the peleton (the big bunch behind the leaders) into Paris. That's the tradition. The last day is more of a celebration than a proper race.


There are three things I love about Le Tour de France - 


- The commentary. Phil Liggett is one of the best commentators on TV. He does the Aussie commentary on SBS, he really knows his stuff and he presents so perfectly for non-cyclists. He explains the ins and outs really well. 


- The hills. Seeing the cyclists - especially on the hill stages - is truly amazing. Look I know that the sport's a wee bit tainted with drugs and stuff, but to be honest, the speed they go, the risks they take, and the hills they tackle, I'm happy to pass over the controversy for the sporting occasion it produces. And finally...


- The scenery and the crowds. The French are (by and large) barking mad, and French lovers of the Tour are the maddest of the mad. Plus, the scenery is stunning. It always makes me want to hang a string of garlics around my neck, open a bottle of chilled red wine and eat smelly cheese. Chilled red wine? Apparently they do that in some parts of France. Told you the French are barking mad.


Ah. So why am I rabbiting on about a cycle race in France? I hear you ask. Especially when today is February 14th? Shouldn't love be in the air? It's Valentine's Day for heaven's sake. 


Indeed it is. But it's also Cadel Evan's birthday.


Cadel Evans - world mountain bike champ in 1998 and 1999. Only took up road racing in 2001. Finished second in the Tours of 2008 and 2009 and then won le Tour in 2011. He'll be back to defend his crown this year. He'll be 35. That's pretty old to be whizzing round the French Alps at well over 100km/h on a piece of flimsy carbon-fibre. 


Happy birthday and good luck, Cadel. I will be watching ... sans lycra!


pip pip & of course Happy Val Day to lovers and dreamers everywhere.

4 comments:

  1. me too !! i'm taking my girls for Thai in Manly. Thx heaps for visiting my blog...love yours and just subscribed!!

    Those pictures of Athens really capture the pain. We were in Syntagma Sq last year. The most beautiful country and people. I really feel for them right now.

    Have a heartfilled feb 14th :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your blog, Dave, and love the TdF too. Being married to a lycra-wearing cyclist for nearly two decades hasn't convinced me to take up cycling, but I do enjoy spectating the sport. Wish Don had more time to train and race like before.

    Last year we were in France to watch a few stages of the tour (Don rode the Alpe D'Huez stage!). My highlight of the trip was meeting Phil Liggett. I'm a huge fan - I was starstruck. Only had a brief chat with him, but he came across as being the nicest guy. Amazing voice and amazing knowledge of cycling. Had a good time cheering for our boy Cadel too :) m

    ReplyDelete
  3. you met the great Phil Liggett. wow. I love lying on the sofa late at night listening to him. hope you got his autograph. I thought of Don as I wrote this post!!

    ReplyDelete